This page might contain affiliate links, which will earn us a commission. As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Cats will often struggle to maintain just the ideal level of hydration. Experts do not yet know if this is because of the aversion of cats to water or just because they are stubborn animals.
Research has, however, shown that water fountains pique the interests of cats and increase the chances of them drinking water. Getting the right water fountain is nonetheless essential for the best experience for your cat.
Some of the considerations when buying the fountain include its capacity, material, features, and power consumption. Though not as essential as other elements, you should also consider the design of the water fountain.
You, after all, do not want to look for a discreet location for the fountain because of its unsightly appearance. This would also make it challenging for your cat to locate and use it.
With the above information in mind, here are some guidelines to boost the odds of picking the right water fountain for your cat.
Best Water Fountains for Cats
After reviewing different elements of the cat water fountains on the market, the following are the five best alternatives you should consider getting.
1. Wonder Creature Stainless Steel Water Fountain
This is a convenient and classy solution for drinking water for cats. With a 2.5-liter capacity, it suffices for large and small cats. You thus can leave your cat alone and rest assured that it has enough drinking water.
Moreover, the stainless steel water fountain from Wonder Creature operates quietly and smoothly. This makes it well-suited for placement in living areas.
A dual-filtration system guarantees ultra-clean drinking water for your cat, while a 360-degree rotational system delivers fresh aerated water from all sides of the fountain.
The Wonder Creature water fountain also comes with cleaning brushes for its delicate parts.
- The LED light in it makes its location easy.
- Remains scratch-free even when used by many cats.
- Easy to clean.
- Easy to set-up and disassemble.
- Low energy consumption.
- Auto shut off feature keeps the motor from dry burning.
- Short lifespan.
2. URPOWER upgraded water fountain
Moreover, its water capacity is 51 ounces meaning it will be more than enough for your cat’s daily consumption. The water in the URPOWER water fountain is adjusted from a valve while the LED light has a separate switch for its control.
This makes it a safe purchase for those worried about electric shocks. The water level in the fountain should nonetheless not fall below the pump level since this might cause the pump to burn out from a dry run.
The filters should also be changed after about ten days, depending on how many cats drink from the fountain.
- Easy to clean and install.
- Aesthetically pleasing to match a range of interior décor.
- Easy for your pet to locate in the dark.
- The free-falling stream encourages pets to drink water.
- Low pump noise levels.
- Needs a thorough scrub every 2-3 days.
3. Pioneer Pet swan water fountain
This is a “white swan” fountain that works best for cats that love drinking from faucets. The water fountain from Pioneer Pet has a faucet design rather than the waterfall typical in most cat fountains.
Its 80-ounce capacity makes it ideal for households with one large cat or several cats. The unit is constructed from an easy-to-maintain BPA-free plastic and has a charcoal filter that guarantees clean water throughout.
- It is dishwasher safe.
- Quiet operation.
- A few parts that are easy to assemble and clean.
- USB or wall plug connection makes it flexible.
- Adjustable flow switch.
- Water splashes when your cat drinks from the stream.
4. Veken pet water fountain
Other than the ultra-low noise levels of the AC pump motor on this fountain, the manufacturer has included some exclusive features on it. One of these is a triple filtration system for the highest levels of purified water for your cat.
The system includes an ion exchange resin, a cotton layer, and an activated carbon filter. The Veken water fountain also comes with a silicone mat, three replacement filters, and an AC adapter.
- An adequate 2.5 l / 84 oz water capacity.
- Easy to assemble.
- Three diverse water flow designs.
- Low energy consumption.
- Made of BPA-free plastic.
- Water level indicator to manage your cat’s water consumption.
- Easy to locate in low lighting with its LED light.
- USB connector makes it flexible.
- Its nooks and crannies necessitate a long cleaning brush.
- Hard to clean around the non-removable pump.
5. PETKIT water fountain
At night, the feature reduces the amount of water the fountain produces and increases it during the day. By slowing down water production at night, the water fountain from PETKIT reduces the device’s energy consumption, filter usage, and pump wear.
These, in turn, translate to energy savings and increased durability of the fountain. Furthermore, the water fountain has a three-level filtration.
Other than the purified water this filtration system guarantees, it negates the need for frequent carbon filter changes.
You thus can change the filter after three months, compared to other fountains that need a filter change every 2-4 weeks.
- Easy disassembling process.
- Easy to clean and dishwasher-safe.
- Attractive modern design.
- Indicator light to know when to refill water or change your filter.
- Automatic shut-off feature for the pump.
- Translucent material allows the visualization of water levels.
- Quiet operation.
- No adjustable water flow capability.
- Small capacity for large or multiple cats.
Why Should You Buy a Water Fountain For Your Cat?
Pet owners often wonder what the big fuss is about a water fountain when their cats can drink from water bowls. Water fountains, unlike bowls, have a pump that circulates the water in them to avoid its stagnation.
This not only avoids the accumulation of foreign materials in the water, but the dynamic cascade it creates makes the fountain attractive. Moreover, the fountain is easy for cats to drink from, and the water in it remains odor-free.
The adequate intake of water by your cat, thanks to the water fountain, will improve its digestion, boost immunity, balance electrolytes, and prevent the formation of kidney stones.
How Often Should You Clean A Cat Water Fountain?
It would be best if you cleaned the water fountain at least daily before you change the water in it. This is because cats can transfer the microbes from their saliva into the fountain and encourage the growth of microorganisms.
Wipe the tank in the fountain before you add water. Every week, wash the fountain in warm soapy water and scrub using a soft brush depending on its material. There are brushes with special tips that can clean the nooks and crannies of elaborate fountains.
These brushes will also suffice for cleaning fountains that are challenging to disassemble. During weekly cleaning, you can soak the small parts of the water fountain like impellers, water spouts, and intake tubes in distilled white vinegar for half an hour then rinse them.
How Do You Teach a Cat To Drink From The Water Fountain?
Teaching a cat to drink from a water fountain when it had gotten used to drinking from elsewhere is often a challenge. The following steps might make the process easy for you:
- Move the cat’s previous water drinking container next to the fountain so that it knows that both are water sources.
- Stop refilling the previous water container and open the water fountain. Leave the water in the previous container to become stale or run out such that the cat can only get water from the fountain.
- Remove the previous container from its position next to the fountain.
You might have to do the above steps multiple times before your cat gets used to the water fountain.
With a guide on the best-rated water fountains for cats and where to get them, your shopping trip for your furry friend is sure to be a breeze. Once you get the ideal product, you can attest to the optimal health of your cat as its water intake increases.
This way, you can prolong the cat’s life and enjoy a stable emotional connection since you need not get a new pet within a short time. Moreover, the trips to the vet are reduced, meaning cost and time savings.
Thankfully, the above and other cat water fountains have diverse price ranges. You thus need not overstretch your finances when trying to get the best for your pet. You are sure to get a good fountain that fits your budget.
Even so, place more focus on the features of the fountain rather than its price. This way, you do not pick a cheap product that you might replace in a few weeks.Cats