Stackable Bearded Dragon Cages: Tips & Buying Options
As a bearded dragon owner, I understand the challenge of providing a comfortable and secure living space for your reptiles. I have tried different enclosures, from glass tanks to wooden vivariums, but none seemed to offer the perfect solution until I discovered stackable bearded dragon cages. These cages not only provide ample space for my beardies but also allow me to maximize the available room for housing multiple dragons.
In this article, I will share the benefits of using stackable bearded dragon cages, factors to consider when choosing them, and tips for setting up, cleaning, and maintaining the cages.
The Stackable Enclosure I Recommend
The PVC Reptile Enclosure by ToxiRium is one of the best choices for your bearded dragons. Here are some of the reasons I like this stackable cage rack:
Comfortable and Spacious Habitat
The first thing I noticed about this reptile tank was its size. At 48 x 24 x 24 inches and a 120-gallon capacity, it offers adequate space for a bearded dragon to move about, explore, hide, and rest. The large feeding area allows me to create a comfortable and visually appealing environment for a bearded dragon to thrive in.
Premium PVC Material
The non-reflective PVC panels provide privacy and security, reducing bearded dragons’ anxiety and stress levels. The PVC reptile terrarium is lightweight, durable, and easy to move, making it a better option for me than glass alternatives. Plus, it retains heat and humidity, which is essential for reptiles like bearded dragons.
Providing proper ventilation for reptiles is paramount, and this habitat does not disappoint. With side vents and a top mesh screen, it allows UV, heat lamp, and infrared light to penetrate, while also offering room for a heating mat. This makes temperature and humidity control a breeze.
Stackable, Easy to Install and Secure
The two front sliding doors make feeding a bearded dragon and customizing his habitat a simple task. The lock ensures his safety and prevents any potential escape. What’s more, the enclosure is easy to assemble, disassemble, and can be stacked – perfect for reptile enthusiasts with multiple pets.
Suitable for Various Reptiles
While I primarily use this habitat for bearded dragons, it’s also suitable for other reptiles like blue-tongued skinks, crested geckos, lizards, frogs, snakes, and tortoises. However, it’s not designed for rainforest-style habitats, so do keep that in mind if you have specific requirements.
The Benefits of Stackable Bearded Dragon Cages
There are several advantages to using stackable bearded dragon cages. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Space-saving: As the name suggests, stackable cages can be easily arranged on top of one another, saving valuable floor space. This is especially useful for reptile enthusiasts with multiple bearded dragons or limited room in their home.
- Easy customization: Stackable cages often come with sliding or removable dividers, allowing you to create a personalized habitat for each bearded dragon. This feature is particularly helpful when you have dragons with varying needs or want to separate them for breeding purposes.
- Improved ventilation: Stackable cages usually have a mesh top, ensuring that your bearded dragons receive adequate air circulation. This is crucial for their health and wellbeing, as stagnant air can lead to respiratory issues.
- Lightweight and portable: Most stackable cages are made from lightweight materials such as PVC, making them easy to move and transport. This is particularly helpful when relocating or reorganizing your bearded dragon’s living space.
- Easy access and cleaning: Due to their design, stackable cages often come with easy-to-open doors, making it simple to access your bearded dragons and perform routine maintenance tasks such as spot cleaning, feeding, and water replacement.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Stackable Cage
Before purchasing a stackable bearded dragon cage, consider the following factors:
- Size: Ensure that the cage is large enough to accommodate your bearded dragon’s size and activity level. Adult beardies typically require a minimum 40-gallon tank, but larger enclosures are always better.
- Material: Choose a cage made from durable and easy-to-clean materials, such as PVC or melamine. Avoid wooden cages, as they can easily become damaged by humidity and moisture.
- Ventilation: Opt for a cage with proper ventilation, such as a mesh top or vents on the sides or back of the enclosure.
- Security: Ensure that the cage doors securely lock to prevent your bearded dragon from escaping.
- Flexibility: Look for a cage that can be easily customized or expanded to meet your bearded dragon’s needs as they grow or your collection evolves.
How to Set Up a Stackable Bearded Dragon Cage
Setting up a stackable bearded dragon cage involves several steps:
- Assemble the cages according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Place the cages on a sturdy surface or a specially-designed stand, ensuring that they are properly secured.
- Install heating and lighting sources, such as basking lamps and UVB fixtures, in each cage. Bearded dragons need a temperature gradient, so create a basking area with temperatures around 100°F and a cooler area at 80°F.
- Add a comfortable substrate, such as reptile carpet, slate tiles, or paper towels. Avoid loose substrates like sand, which can cause impaction if ingested.
- Provide hiding spots and climbing accessories, such as logs, branches, and hammocks, to encourage natural behaviors and reduce stress.
- Include a shallow water dish for hydration, and mist the enclosure daily to maintain proper humidity levels.
- Regularly monitor the cage conditions, making adjustments as necessary to ensure the optimal environment for your bearded dragons.
Cleaning and Maintenance Tips for Stackable Cages
Regular cleaning is essential for maintaining a healthy environment for your bearded dragons. Follow these tips for effective cleaning and maintenance:
- Perform daily spot cleaning, removing any feces, uneaten food, or shed skin.
- Replace the water dish daily and clean it with a mild dish soap and warm water.
- Clean the cage accessories, such as hides and climbing structures, as needed with a reptile-safe disinfectant.
- Completely replace the substrate and thoroughly clean the cage every 4-6 weeks, using a mild detergent and warm water. Allow the cage to dry completely before reassembling it.
Price of Stackable Bearded Dragon Cages
The price of stackable bearded dragon cages can vary, depending on the size, material, and brand. Expect to spend anywhere between $100 and $500 for a single cage. However, investing in a high-quality and durable cage is worth it in the long run, as it will provide a comfortable and safe home for your bearded dragons.
Safety Precautions for Stackable Cages
To ensure the well-being of your bearded dragons, follow these safety precautions when using stackable cages:
- Ensure that each cage is securely fastened to avoid accidents or injuries.
- Regularly inspect the cages for any signs of wear, such as cracks or broken hinges, and replace them as needed.
- Keep the cages away from direct sunlight or heat sources to prevent overheating.
- Periodically check the locks on the cage doors to ensure they are functioning properly.
Alternatives to Stackable Bearded Dragon Cages
If stackable cages are not the right fit for your needs, consider these alternatives:
- Glass terrariums: These enclosures provide excellent visibility and ventilation but can be heavy and challenging to stack safely.
- Wooden vivariums: Made from sturdy materials like plywood, these enclosures can provide a naturalistic environment but may be difficult to clean and maintain.
- Custom-built enclosures: If you have the skills and resources, consider building a custom enclosure that meets your specific needs and preferences.
Using Stackable Cages for Breeding Bearded Dragons
Stackable cages are an excellent choice for breeding bearded dragons, as they allow you to easily separate the adults and monitor the hatchlings. Use removable dividers or separate cages to isolate the male and female dragons during the breeding process.
Once the female lays her eggs, transfer them to a separate incubation container with a moist substrate, maintaining a consistent temperature of 82-85°F. After the eggs hatch, you can place the hatchlings in separate stackable cages, ensuring they receive the proper care and attention they need to thrive.
In conclusion, stackable bearded dragon cages offer a practical and efficient solution for housing your beloved reptiles. They provide a secure and customizable space while also saving valuable room in your home.
By considering the factors shared in this article and following the recommended setup, cleaning, and safety tips, you can create the perfect environment for your bearded dragons to thrive.