Airline Approved Pet Carrier with Wheels – The Ultimate Guide
In the past, cat owners have to leave their cats at home when going on a distant trip by plane. But now, with airline approved pet carrier with wheels, you can easily take your cat on a journey by plane. Going on a vacation doesn’t mean your cat will have to remain alone in the house now. All you need to do is get an airline-approved cat carrier.
In this article, I will write a detailed guide on airline-approved pet carriers with wheels. Everything you need to know about them is included here. Also, I shall list my favorite top 9 airline-approved pet carrier with wheels in this article. So, grab a cup of coffee and enjoy the article!
Things to consider before getting an airline-approved pet carrier:
There are several things to consider when you are shopping for an airline approved pet carrier with wheels. If you don’t consider these factors, there is a high possibility that you’ll end up buying the wrong carrier for your cat. So, pay close attention to these factors:
- First, you need to decide how do you want to carry the pet carrier. airline approved pet carriers come in different styles to carry them. Some have handles, some have shoulder straps and even some of the carriers have wheels for easy carrying. If you have weak shoulders, then using the handles to carry the carrier will be good for you. For those who want to keep their hands free, choosing one with shoulder straps will suit better. And, if you are going on a long journey where you have to walk a lot, then I’ll suggest you get something with wheels on it. It will make your trip far much easier.
- Generally, airline approved pet carriers have two types of openings: Velcro and zippers. Velcro openings are not very secure and can be easily ripped apart by a skittish cat. However, they provide quick access to your cat. On the other hand, zipper openings provide much more security to the cat than Velcro but they can be sometimes a nuisance.
- Ventilation is a very important aspect when choosing an airline approved pet carrier. You’ll have to ensure that the carrier has enough ventilation system for proper air circulation inside the carrier.
- Pockets come in real handy when you are traveling with your cat. You can store your pet’s important items such as foods, treats, leashes, medicine etc. in them. You can also keep your passport, wallet and other necessary items there.
- Make sure the carrier is the right size for your cat. An easy way to determine if a carrier has the right size is, check if your cat can stand up and turn around inside the carrier without any problem. If she can, then the carrier has the right dimension for her. Some vets also suggest getting a carrier whose length is at least 1.5 times the length of the cat.
- Carriers with top opening come in handy a lot. It lets you have a quick access to your cat without having to open the front door completely. It is also an easy access system for skittish cats. So, try to get an airline approved pet carrier with top loading feature.
- If you don’t want to carry your cat for the whole journey, it is better to get an airline approved pet carrier with wheels. It will save you from the hassle of carrying your cat on the whole journey.
- Most cats prefer a place with less commotion in the plane. So, if your plane isn’t full to the brim, try to find a place that has fewer passengers around it. It will make your cat less nervous.
- Another good reason to fly on less busy days are, the fewer people there are on the plane, the more attention the flight attendants can give to your cat.
- If your cat becomes too much anxious on the plane and starts to scream, you can give her some mild natural remedies such as natural herb supplements or sedatives like Benadryl.
- You can put a blanket in the carrier that your cat wears a lot. The familiar scent may calm her down. Also, using cat pheromones is also a good idea.
- Try to board the plane as early as possible. It will give your cat enough time to get used to the plane before all the commotion and yelling starts.
Preparations before the flight day:
- When it comes to carrying pets on a plane, each airline has its own set of regulations. So, check in with your airline about the regulations to carry your cat.
- Most airlines have a very few number of seats. So, call them and reserve a seat for your cat long before the flight day. Otherwise, you might not find a seat for your cat.
- Check on with the weather before flying with your cat. A good weather will make the plane less jerky, so the cat will be less nervous.
- Never feed your cat just before the flight. It is better if you feed her several hours before the flight. So, your cat won’t have an empty stomach during the fly and she won’t suffer from digestive problems either. However, feed your cat plenty of water if necessary. Ensure that your cat has access to a water bowl all the time during the travel.
- It is a great idea to get a pee pad for your cat the day before the flight. You can line the pee pad inside the carrier. it will ensure that, even if your cat has an accident, she will not sit in her own urine all day long.
Top 9 Airline Approved Pet Carrier with Wheels:
In this section, I will give a list of my personal favorite 9 airline approved pet carrier with wheels to you. All these pet carriers have great mobility and offer awesome value for the money. So, let’s get started:
1. Sherpa on Wheels Pet Carrier:
Sherpa is internationally known for producing premium quality soft-sided carriers for a long time. Sherpa is the innovator of designer pet travel carriers and they are the only brand who offers a guarantee on-board.
“Guarantee-On-Board” is a program that ensures that Sherpa on wheel pet carrier is approved by every US airline regulations and everything needed for a stress-free plane journey comes with their product. It has been specially manufactured to be compliant with the regulations of most Major US airline regulations.
How does that “Guarantee On Board” thing work? It is quite simple actually. All you have to do is provide all the necessary information I.e. flight no, cabin etc. to their website and you will be presented with a Guarantee On Board form.
All you need to do is, show that Guarantee On Board form to the gate agent. If for any reason you are denied to take the carrier with you, Sherpa will compensate the complete cost of the flight as well as a fee for the pet. No other brand can offer this type of transparency to their product.
- The castor wheels offer a smooth and quiet motion which doesn’t make your cat nervous. The newer models come with swivel wheels.
- The carrier comes with an eye-catching Pet-On-Board flag for better visibility of the carrier.
- Sherpa on wheel pet carrier provides you three ways to carry it. You can either use the wheels to drag it with you, use the handles to carry it by your hand or use the adjustable shoulder strap if you want to keep your hands free.
- The carrier has a patented spring wire frame inside which lets it fit under the seat of the plane while maintaining its structural rigidity.
- Four mesh panels on all sides provide superb ventilation and visibility for your cat.
- The carrier is lined with a washable faux lamb’s wool liner which makes it very durable.
- Recommended for pets up to 19” length and 9.5” height with a weight capacity of 22 pounds.
- Dimension of the carrier is 20 x 12.2 x 10.5 inches
- Weight of the carrier is 5.5 pounds
- The weight of the carrier itself is too much for some cat owners
- Not suitable for large cats
2. Snoozer Wheel Around Pet Carrier:
Snoozer wheel around pet carrier is a rolling cat carrier which can be also used as a backpack. You can also secure it with your cat seat and go for a long drive with your cat. This carrier is recommended for pets up to 15 pounds.
This carrier meets the regulation of most of the major US airlines. It also fits under the seat of most airlines. However, do check with your airline before investing in this carrier. The carrier has a rigid body structure with a thin padding inside.
The bottom is supported by the internal frame. This carrier is a good combination of sturdy structure and lightweight.
- Can be used as a carry on wheel carrier or a backpack, whichever you wish. You can also strap it with the seat of your cat and enjoy a car ride.
- Compliant with most US airline regulations.
- Easy to carry. Has a rigid internal structure which makes the carrier sturdy.
- It is also very lightweight and comfortable for both you and your cat.
- Weight capacity is 15 pounds.
- The dimension is 5 x 13 x 9 inches
- Weight is 8 pounds
- The large size of the carrier doesn’t fit under Delta seats.
- Not suitable for pets more than 15 pounds.
3. WPS Airline Approved Wheeled Pet Carrier:
WPS knows that traveling with your cat is a challenging thing to do. When you are busy getting on the plane, the last thing you want is to think about how heavy the carrier is or if it will fit under the seat. however, with WPS airline approved wheeled pet carrier, you can put these questions behind you for all time.
It is a six-wheeled pet carrier. the simple yet sturdy design protects your cat from all types of external danger. It is designed for providing comfort and stability.
The omnidirectional six wheels, as well as retractable handles, makes carrying the carrier super easy. The plush comfortable interior keeps your cat cozy during the whole journey.
It has meshed fabric to ensure proper ventilation throughout the carrier and panoramic view for the cat. Through the mesh panels, you can always keep an eye on your furry friend. The carrier also has straps for seatbelt for added security during motion.
The carrier is collapsible and foldable, so storing it is very straightforward. You’ll also get a water-resistant bag for traveling with the carrier.
- Super strong yet stylish design of the carrier which makes traveling easy.
- Made of durable raw materials which provide durability as well as flexibility to the carrier.
- You can either drag the carrier on wheels, carry it by hand strap or use the adjustable shoulder strap.
- Includes a bonus water-resistant travel bag for you.
- This carrier is compliant with most of the major US airlines. So, you don’t have to worry about air regulations anymore.
- Mesh panels provide superior ventilation to the carrier.
- Designed to fit under the seat of an airplane yet causing no discomfort to the carrier.
- Comes with a 60-day money back guarantee. So, you can return the product immediately if you are not satisfied with the quality.
- The dimension with wheel is 18 x 11 x 22 inches
- Weight is 7 pounds.
- According to some cat owners, the fabric of the carrier is a bit flimsy.
- Some complained that there is no zipper opening on the top of the carrier
4. Sherpa On Wheel Pet Carrier (Another Model)
Like the previous one, this model of Sherpa on wheel pet carrier also uses recessed wheels for quiet and steady motion of the carrier. This carrier completely takes off the weight from your shoulder and let you enjoy the journey with your cat.
You can either carry the carrier on the wheel or use handles or adjustable shoulder strap. The carrier is made of premium quality quilted nylon which provides durability to the carrier. it has a travel bed tray inside the carrier that slides in and out. The carrier is also lined with faux lamb’s wool liner which makes it more luxurious for the cat.
Mesh panels on three sides ensure proper ventilation throughout the carrier. your cat can also enjoy the view of outside. There are two entries in the carrier: one is the front entry and the other one is the U shaped top entry.
The carrier includes leash ring, brass hardware, strap for seat belt as well as an extra-large pocket for storing important items. It is also approved by most major US airlines.
- Top and front entry
- Three side mesh panels for superior ventilation
- Multiple carrying systems for easier traveling
- Made of high quality quilted nylon which provides durability.
- extra-large pocket for keeping important items of your cat.
- Recessed wheels for smoother motion
- Approved by most major US airlines.
- The dimension of the carrier is 20 x 11.5 x 12 inches
- The weight of the carrier is 3 pounds
- The large size of the carrier doesn’t fit under most airline seats.
- Some customers find this model bulkier than the regular one.
5. OxGord’s Pet Carrier Rolling Backpack:
OxGord is widely known throughout the US for their popular high demanding pet carrier rolling backpacks. This carrier is made from high-quality durable Polyester which is removable as well as washable.
Mesh side panels, as well as the door, provides ventilation inside the carrier. your cat can also enjoy the outside view through these mesh panels.
It comes with a telescoping handle with a pair of wheels which makes it very easier to carry anywhere. You also have the liberty to carry it as a backpack. It also has zippered side pockets where you can keep necessary items for your cat such as treats, foods, medicines, leashes etc.
- The mesh side panels and door provides enough air circulation inside the carrier which makes it comfortable for the cat. It also lets your cat enjoy the outside view.
- Thanks to the telescoping handle with a pair of wheels, you can easily carry this pet carrier anywhere without even sweating a bit.
- Made of highly durable polyester which makes this carrier last for a really long time.
- Approved by most of the US airlines.
- Includes zippered side pockets for easy storage of important items.
- The dimension of the carrier is 14 x 11 x 19 inches
- The weight is about 5 pounds.
- This carrier is only suitable for small to medium size cats. Large cats will have a hard time inside it.
6. Pettom Pet Rolling Carrier Backpack:
For those who don’t want to leave their cat alone at home on a vacation, Pettom has manufactured a perfect pet rolling carrier backpack for them. This is a 4 in 1 travel backpack which is an easy solution to traveling with a cat.
It can be used as a backpack, or you can also use it as a carrier and strap it with a car seat for a long car ride. Along with having all the features of a regular cat carrier, it also has meshed windows for ventilation. You can also keep an eye on your cat through this meshed window.
There is an internal latch inside the carrier which you can attach to your cat’s collar. It will prevent any type of unsupervised escape of your cat and let you enjoy the trip without any tension.
It has side pockets for keeping important items of your cat. You can also store your cards, wallet, passport etc. there. It comes in a lot of colors for you to choose from.
- This 4 in 1 travel carrier backpack makes it very easy to travel with your cat anywhere in the world.
- The removable bottom lets you clean and maintains the carrier very easily.
- You can use it as a backpack, tote carrier, rolling carrier or as a seat carrier.
- Padded shoulder makes it very comfortable to carry the pet carrier as a backpack
- You can strap your cat’s seat belt across the carrier and secure it with the seat for a long car ride.
- The carrier is made of nylon micro-fiber which is extremely durable.
- Zipper mesh door provides sufficient ventilation inside the carrier.
- Included side pockets for storing important stuff of your cat.
- Comes with an internal latch which can be attached to the collar of the cat for complete security.
- Weight capacity is 10 pounds.
- The outer dimension of the carrier is 14 x 11.8 x 19.3 inches
- The inner dimension of the carrier is 13 x 10 x 17 inches
- The weight of the carrier is about 4.1 pounds.
- Not suitable for large cats. The weight capacity is 10 pounds only.
7. Tutto Large Pet Carrier On Wheels:
This is an award-winning pet carrier designed for easier and light transportation of your cat. It is made of high-quality material which gives durability and rigidity to the construction of the carrier.
The carrier allows entries to it in three ways. The comfortable fleece and the washable pad makes this carrier very comfortable and cozy for your cat. The fiberglass construction protects your cat from all types of danger outside.
The weight capacity is 25 pounds. It is really a great cat carrier for visiting the vet or going on a long journey.
- The fiberglass construction provides protection to your pet from all kinds of external harms.
- Looks like a traditional luggage. So, you won’t draw any unwanted attention to your cats. It will make your cat less stressed.
- The carrier is foldable for easier storing
- Three entry systems to the carrier for the quick entering of your cat.
- Washable pad and the removable fleece bed makes the carrier very cozy for the cat
- The carrier is great for either short trip to vets or a long international trip by plane.
- The dimension of the carrier is 22 x 11 x 15 inches
- The estimated weight is about 12 pounds.
- Some customers didn’t receive the Bungie cord with the carrier
- Not great for large size cats.
8. Pettom Pet Rolling Carrier Backpack (Another Model):
This is another model of rolling cat carrier backpack from Pettom which encourages you to travel with your cat more. Like the previously discussed model, you can either use it as a rolling carrier, or a backpack or in a car seat by strapping it with a seat belt.
Meshed windows offer ventilation throughout the carrier and visibility for the cat. An internal latch attached to the collar of the cat ensures no escaping of your cat when you are traveling. Includes pockets for easier storing of necessary items of your cat.
- The manufacturer used high-quality oxford material to produce this carrier. So, the carrier is very durable.
- You can use the carrier in multiple ways such as rolling carrier, backpack, tote bag etc.
- Padded shoulder strap makes it very comfortable to carry the carrier as a backpack
- Includes a pair of front pockets to keep important stuff of your cat.
- Zipped mesh door not only provides ventilation but also visibility to the cat.
- The case is removable as well as washable
- Internal latch ensures no unsupervised escape of your cat
- You can simply clean the carrier by wiping it with a clean piece of cloth.
- The dimension of the carrier is 16.93 x 11.8 x 16.93 inches
- Estimated weight of the carrier is about 5.7 pounds.
- Weight capacity is 17 pound
- Available colors: Green, silver, coffee, pink, blue
- Not suitable for two cats.
- Not great for large cats
9. FrontPet’s Rolling Pet Travel Carrier:
The carrier also has mesh sides for excellent ventilation inside the carrier which ensures your cat’s comfort. It also helps to keep your cat calm as your cat can constantly see you through the meshed side panels. It works as a double whammy.
You can also keep a constant eye on your cat through the meshed side panels and front doors.
The interior compartment is spacious and lined with memory foam to ensure a comfortable journey for your cat. It has two large side pockets where you can store plenty of your cat’s necessary items such as treats, foods, leashes etc.
The carrier also includes a leash harness which reduces the possibility of your cat’s escaping down to zero.
Sleek and compact design, retractable handles and rolling wheels make this carrier perfect for carrying cat easily without any tension. For areas where you can’t roll the carrier, you can simply use it as a backpack. This is an all in one travel carrier rolling backpack for your cat.
- the carrier is very versatile. It has a spacious internal compartment which is lined with memory foam for making the carrier comfortable as well as luxurious for your cat.
- You can either use it as a regular luggage rolling carrier or as a backpack whichever you wish.
- Made of high-quality material which makes this carrier very durable. Moreover, meshed panels, zippers, as well as premium quality fabric, make this carrier very eye-catching.
- Most major airlines of the US approve this carrier.
- Meshed panels on top, side, and front to ensure proper ventilation inside the carrier.
- Includes two large side pockets for keeping all your cat’s important items with you.
- The internal leash harness prevents any kind of unsupervised escape of your cat. So, you can attact it to the collar of your cat and enjoy the ride without any tension.
- Durable hardware which makes this carrier last for a long time.
- the dimension of the carrier is 12 x 14.5 x 19.5 inches
- when you fully extend the handles, the dimension becomes 12 x 14.5 x 36 inches
- the weight of the carrier is about 6 pounds
- The wheels are not removable
- May not fit under some airline’s seat. It is better if you can check beforehand to be absolutely sure.
Airline Sizing Requirements and Price:
- Maximum dimension for hard-sided carrier: 17.5 x 12 x 7.5 inches
- Maximum dimension for soft-sided carrier: 18 x 11 x 11 inches
- The regulation for a soft-sided carrier is slightly adjustable.
- To know more, visit United Airlines.
- Maximum dimension for hard-sided carrier: 19 x 13 x 9 inches
- Soft-sided carriers can be a bit larger than hard-sided carriers if the building material is water-repellent and includes mesh ventilation panels on at least 2 sides.
- Last I checked, it was $125 per carrier. visit American Airlines for more information.
- Maximum dimension for hard-sided carrier: 17 x 11 x 7.5 inches
- Maximum dimension for soft-sided carrier: 17 x 11 x 9.5 inches
- The price is $100 for each carrier
- Allows two cats of same breeds and size to be carried in a single carrier.
- Learn more about it in Alaskan Airlines.
- The maximum dimension of the carrier depends on the size of the aircraft and your flight. Click here to contact them for the exact information.
- Price is $125 for each carrier.
Jet Blue Airlines:
- The maximum dimension of the carrier cannot be more than 17 x 12.5 x 8.5 inches
- The total weight of the pet and the carrier cannot be more than 20 pounds.
- The price is $100 each way
- Learn more about their regulations in Jet Blue Airlines
- Maximum dimension of the carrier can be 18.5 x 8.5 x 13.5 inches
- The price is $95 for each way
- You can either carry the pet carrier as a carry-on item or a personal item.
- You cannot take the carrier as a carry-on item for international flights.
- Learn more about their regulations here.
- For knowing the maximum allowed dimension of the pet carrier, contact with their help desk.
- The cost depends on your destination, size of the carrier and the season.
- For more information about their airline regulations, visit their official website here.
Some other things to consider when flying with your cat by plane:
- Most of the US airlines want that the pet can easily stand up and turn around inside the carrier.
- The carriers should be in the best possible condition. Most airlines reject carriers that don’t measure up to their standards.
- Most airlines allow each passenger to carry only a certain number of pets as a carry-on. The number varies from airline to airline. However, it generally tends to be very small.
- You cannot let your pet get out of the carrier during the entire flight.
- If you take your pet as a carry-on, you have to sit on a seat where the space under the seat is available for keeping the carrier.
- Pets that are younger than 2 months’ age are not allowed to travel by plane.
- Some of the US airlines allow carrying multiple pets of same species and size in one carrier. However, you need to check on with your airline to be absolutely sure.
- The carriers should have ventilation on at least two sides and leak-proof exterior.
- The regulations of an airline may change under special circumstances such as a change in aircraft or destination of the flight. so, always check on with your airline before purchasing the ticket.
So, this is my ultimate guide to airline-approved pet carriers with wheels. I hope the guide will come in handy to you when you want to travel with your cat by plane. Let me know if you would like to add any more suggestions in the comment box below. Happy traveling with your cat!