Pet rabbits are fantastic indoor pets. These pets are not only adorable, but they also brim with personality. They are cute and admirable pets. But with any other pets, you have to ensure your pet rabbit feeds on the right foods.
Some pet parents could consider feeding their pet rabbits with chocolate. They think that chocolate is the best treats for these indoor pets.
But many rabbit lovers consider giving their pet rabbits chocolate at some point. This guide focuses on whether pet rabbits can eat chocolate or not.
How Much Chocolate is Toxic for a Rabbit?
We all like feeding our pets with something that we enjoy eating. However, that doesn’t mean that we overdo it.
Particularly when it comes to chocolate, but too much chocolate can be harmful to pet rabbits. Chocolate has too much caffeine and theobromine. The two chemicals can cause severe damage to pet rabbits.
These two chemicals are methylxanthines. They affect bunnies in the same way they affect us. The two chemicals can suppress a pet rabbit’s nervous system. Furthermore, they can increase a rabbit’s heart rate and cause dehydration.
Other harmful effects of chocolate on pet rabbits include increasing calcium levels in the rabbit’s skeletal and heart muscles. The increase in calcium levels can lead to arrhythmias and seizures.
Pet rabbits that consume chocolate can experience an increase in their body heat, ultimately leading to respiratory failure and heart attack. Nonetheless, pet rabbits can still eat chocolate but in moderate amounts and depending on their weight.
A single ounce can be harmful to a 6-pound pet rabbit. Remember that different types of chocolate have different levels of methylxanthine content.
For instance, dark chocolate has thrice more caffeine and chocolate than other forms of chocolates, ultimately making dark chocolate more dangerous to pet rabbits.
Symptoms of Chocolate Intoxication
Too much chocolate can cause intoxication to your pet rabbit. Thus, your rabbit is likely to show signs of intoxication once it consumes chocolate. Below are symptoms of intoxication among pet rabbits.
- Frequent urination
If your pet rabbit eats more than enough chocolate, it can experience some life-threatening effects. Below are some effects of chocolate intoxication among pet rabbits.
- Internal bleeding
- Irregular heart rhythm
- Nervous system damage
Can a Rabbit Die from Eating Chocolate?
Yes. A rabbit can die from eating chocolate due to the potentially harmful chemicals in the chocolate. The effects of the chemicals in chocolate can put your rabbit’s life in danger.
From dehydration to increased heart rates, chocolate can have many adverse health effects on pet rabbits.
Pet rabbits should ideally feed on a diet that comprises leaves, tree barks, and grasses. Rabbits are herbivores by nature. Their stomachs strictly digest plants and other various types of vegetation. Rabbit’s best diet should include veggies such as cabbage and lettuce.
However, chocolate doesn’t form part of a rabbit’s diet. Although it is a delicacy for us humans, it could be the ultimate killer of your pet rabbit, even in small amounts.
Overweight pet rabbits have the most considerable risk of dying from eating chocolate. Such pet rabbits risk dying from consuming as little as an ounce of chocolate, whether dark or white chocolate varieties
Dark chocolate has a higher concentration of theobromine and caffeine than other types of milk chocolates.
Even the smallest amount of dark chocolate could potentially kill your pet rabbit. Hence, stop feeding your bunnies with chocolate if you don’t want to endanger its life.
What to do If Your Rabbit Ate Chocolate?
It would help if you considered it an emergency when your pet rabbit consumes any variety of chocolate. Therefore call a vet right away if you or someone else has given chocolate to your pet rabbit. Or, you can take the rabbit to the vet instead of calling the vet to come to your home.
Don’t wait for the pet rabbit to show any negative symptoms of consuming chocolate. The theobromine and caffeine in the chocolate can take effect after several hours, unlike other toxins that have an immediate impact.
The earlier you take your rabbit to a vet after it consumes chocolate, the better. Your vet will help flush out the chemicals from the rabbit’s system, hence giving it a high chance of recovering from the effects of eating chocolate.
In other words, the best thing you should do after discovering your rabbit ate chocolate is to take it to a vet.
Good Treats for Rabbits
Avoid feeding your pet rabbit with chocolate no matter how much you love your pet. Instead, there are some lovely treats for rabbits that can’t jeopardize its life in any way. Below are some excellent treats for pet rabbits.
Rabbits are naturally vegetable lovers. Vegetables are by far rabbits’ favorite treat. Almost every green vegetable in the supermarkets is safe for pet rabbits. Adult pet rabbits shouldn’t consume over two cups of fresh vegetables a day.
Rabbits weighing less than five pounds or dwarf rabbit breeds should consume just a single cup of vegetables. Some of the best vegetable treats for rabbits include Brussels sprouts, fennel, zucchini, and cucumber.
Carrots, clover, broccoli are also good vegetable and plant treats that you can feed your pet rabbit.
Fruits also make fantastic treats for pet rabbits. However, you should give fruits to your pet rabbit sparingly. Preferably once per week. Two tablespoons of fresh fruit should be the appropriate serving of fruit to serve pet rabbits.
Some of the best fruit choices to include in your rabbit’s diet include apple (but with no seeds), orange, melon, watermelon, peach, and pear.
Pellets are a healthy treat for bunnies, although in small quantities. At least half a cup of pellets is suitable for rabbits weighing six to ten pounds. Rabbits weighing over 10 pounds need less than a half cup of pellets as part of their diet.
Chocolate is sweet and delicious for us humans. However, it can end up killing your cute pet rabbit. Consider healthier treats for your pet rabbit other than giving it chocolate since it isn’t the best gift for pet rabbits.